Labels

Tuesday, March 27, 2012

SOL 27 Half Full or Half Empty

We see it differently.

My mom says that her perception as half empty protects her a little from the bad things that happen. She's had a lot of sadness and stress in her life and does not want to be let down when things she hopes will happen do not. It means, however, that she often has trouble enjoying whatever she has at the moment out of fear for the future.  She's been predicting the frost that came overnight as inevitable after our unprecedentedly warm spring. She's been warning us that is could still snow. "We're gonna pay for this," she admonisned on one realy lovely day last week! 

It's not easy, but I try to find the potential each day has to offer. I've seen my share of sadness and loss; however, I am sensitive to the finite number of days all living things have to make this world a better place. I realized last night as the temperature plummeted that frost was likely; so, I spent a few extra minutes enjoying the flowers and budding trees on my way home.  As I write this in the early morning hours of darkness, I do not yet know what he impact will be; however, I am hoping the frost will have limited impact on the plants and life that are trying to spring from the earth.  I'll pull out the scarf that is now at the back of the closet and grab some gloves and a winter coat when I head out.  If I see this..............

I will not be jumping for joy; however, I am confident that the real spring is still closer today than in was yesterday. 

Early this morning, the SOL link was not up and I was doing my customary reading of yesterday's blogs...and I came across Christy who blogs at Living. She wrote about the same topic from a different but wonderful angle. I love the term, "landed safely." and plan to keep it as my own. Thank you, Christy for sharing http://readwriteinspire.blogspot.com/2012/03/safe-landing.html

5 comments:

Donna Smith said...

Seeing the glass as half full rather than on its way to empty, gives rather than takes away from your life. Keep savoring what you have, not what you may lose! What a difference in your joy it makes!

Judy said...

The more positive thinking we have, the more we are apt to fill that glass. It's sometimes easier to look at the glass half empty, but we get so much more joy out of life if we look at it half full. Thanks for aharing.

Tara @ A Teaching Life said...

Some days it's half empty, and other days it's half full...I'm glad that it's a bit of both, actually! But I love the way you used this as a way to reflect...thank you for sharing.

Christy Rush-Levine said...

This reminds me of the Adlai Stevenson quote about Eleanor Roosevelt: She would rather light a candle than curse the darkness." It is all about how you react to your world.

Juliann in WA said...

At our house we talk about sitting on the half full or half empty side of the table. I sit on the half full, also looking for potential and promise in every day.