Labels

Tuesday, March 6, 2012

SOL 6 Highly Effective Teachers Hire Interior Decorators?


I've been thinking a lot about teacher performance and evaluation lately.  It could be the APPR committee...or it could be the scores in the New York Post..or my concern about shifting too much focus away from children onto teachers!

. Whatever the reason, the "grade" we will get or the desire to be highly effective, I have been wondering what aspects of an observation will stand out to administrator as they do the quick "drive bys" they will need to do to defend their scores. 

While I HOPE our teaching and children learning will be the focus, I wonder if SOME teachers and administrators will be fooled or lulled into a false sense of complacency by classrooms that are "tidy" and teachers who teach to their plans. 

Those of us who are down in the trenches learning with the kids every day know that learning is a messy (at times) process and thus classrooms where learning takes place may have desks that become askew.  There may be some piles of papers that collect because the most effective teachers are NOT organizing during their precious moments with kids.  Instead, they are focusing on the kids and their learning. 

Those of us who are learning along with our children realize that in order to empower our students as learners, we have to encourage our kids to take risks and sometimes, we have to deviate from our stated plans...accepting those teachable moments and embracing those moments where we pass the control of learning over to our learnenrs.

I am just hoping that those who will be doing the assessing will know the difference between a perfectly coiffed classroom and a classroom where learning takes place....

There is a need to paint, decorate and generally upgrade MANY classrooms across our country.  
If SURFACE looks and a great paint job are valued, then, in the future, there WILL be a need for classroom interior decorators to help out those of us who have spent too many years learning to focus on the kids!

I'll need to hire one because I am too busy teaching!    




11 comments:

shogem said...

I had an administrator write about how my blinds were not in alignment across the windows and that I should drink from a cup rather than from a water bottle. Needless to say I have moved on. Thank you for your post. As I look at the clutter in my room I will look it as though it could be a sign of good teaching.

Wanda Brown said...

"Those of us who are down in the trenches learning with the kids every day know that learning is a messy (at times) process and thus classrooms where learning takes place may have desks that become askew."
I really believe in this statement. I have worked with many teachers whose rooms are neat as a pin but they do not dive beneath the surface with their kids.
I believe in going off the 3 meter board as often as possible and so I am in the water too much to get things neat and tidy.
Thank you for stating what admins should be looking for.

Laura Komos said...

What a great post... and great points! As I look to my left and right, I cannot see the countertop because it's filled with books and piles that I haven't had time to put away. I, too, am too busy making a difference with my kids!

Katie said...

Very good point! My classroom is one of the neater ones in the school but you can tell when real learning is going on because my desk starts getting piled up, there are project supplies in every nook and cranny and a general disarray. On that same note there have been times when people say it looks great but I know the truth. So I think you're right, appearances are a big factor in how people perceive us and our teaching.

Janet said...

Yes, education is messy. I find that I envy those people whose rooms are tidy and desks are neat and I'm sure they must hide piles of papers somewhere! Admins need to look for kids and teachers who are engaged and enthusiastic. Maybe we could get a reality show to come redesign your classroom!

MaryHelen said...

You have organized the most important aspect of teaching - children. You are bestowing on them the best ways to learn and organize their knowledge. Thank you for staying true. (I did chuckle at this, because I love to organize and I find in teaching, my organization never stays in place. It's either the kids or the space.)

Katie Dicesare said...

I am one of those "messy classrooms" and I thank you for validating that we need to stop and embrace teachable moments. I agree, kids matter most!

Maureen said...

I, too, have a messy classroom. When I was about 10 years old, my aunt told me that my comfortableness with mess and clutter meant that I was creative! I have milked this for years. We are creative teachers, challenging students and allowing as much flexibility as possible for them to be in charge of their own learning. This is going to be messy! Thanks for sharing.

Looking for the Write Words said...

Well said. Teaching is messy and yes we are busy teaching. Way back when I had dreams about being a teacher and imagined what it would be like, I could not wait to decorate bulletin boards! Wow! I was clueless! I agree with others who realize a classroom can not look like a page from Pottery Barn all tidy, organized, and decorated!

Lennye said...

I have often thought this would be a GREAT idea! I even asked a blogging decorator if she had every thought of it, I never got an answer!

Hope and Carrie said...

I totally agree. I wish my classroom could be neat and orderly at all times but I just don't have the time. The kiddos come first.

~Hope