Labels

Monday, March 3, 2014

#sol14 March 3: Dessert first

Yesterday, Melanie write about eating dessert first, and I instantly thought of my Aunt.  Every week, her Peapod order includes at least a half gallon of ice cream.  Sometimes it's strawberry and other times it's Chunky Monkey!  Every week, there are either bakery chocolate chip cookies or  Pepperidge Farm Milanos.  She is quick to order Little Debbie Crumb Cakes and Sara Lee "home baked" apple pies!   I have never had met rejection with an éclair brought into that house!

At 91, after a broken hip and a long recovery, my Aunt is "letting" me manage her household; however, she is "telling me" what she wants to eat!  She is keenly aware, these days, that there is no reason to waste your energy nor your time eating fruits and veggies!  Many nights, she skips dinner and just has a "light" dessert of some ice cream and a cookie or two.   

"Why not eat some dinner before your dessert?" I asked when I shared the concerns of her caregivers who think she should eat meat and veggies first.. 

"Life is short," she chuckled, "and I get full quickly these days.  So I should eat dessert, first. If I was still hungry, I'd have some dinner, but I don't want to fill up on soup or veggies!"     

12 comments:

Michelle Haseltine said...

"Eat dessert first"!!! Love this life philosophy! That's what it is! Your Aunt enjoys life...we can all learn a lesson from her. In honor of your Aunt...dessert first in my house today. Thank you for this inspiring post!

drferreriblogspot.com said...

This is my test to see if I can respond to my blog without a bunch of tricks!

Unknown said...

Great set up with the description of the desserts coming to the house. You even put dessert first in your slice. There are plenty of reasons to break the rules as we going through life, we just need to remember to do it at times.

Leigh Anne Eck said...

Your aunt is right - life is short. Why not eat dessert first!

Tara said...

This does remind me of Melanie's post - hooray for dessert first, especially if it's Chunky Monkey!

Anonymous said...

I agree! At 91, dessert should be first. I like her explanation! :)

Anonymous said...

No captcha for me, by the way. :)

Jaana said...

At her age you don't need to follow so many eating rules anymore! Dessert tastes better than veggies anyway!

tsudmeier said...

Your Aunt sounds delightful. I love that philosophy. I hate when I don't have room for dessert.

Catherine said...

First Jaana's Finnish chocolate, and now your ice cream AND Milanos. I'll have to read the blogs earlier in the evening!

Anonymous said...

Since she is "letting" you help her I am glad you are "letting" her eat dessert first. She deserves it!

Stacey said...

Hooray for eating dessert first. IT's a good philosophy (not for every day, but for sometimes).