Labels

Sunday, March 23, 2014

#sol14 March 23 That Ol' Striped Throat

It goes around and seems to "peek" in March.  Often, the symptoms are obvious (sore throat, upset stomach, headache) and those of us without medical degrees "seem" to diagnose it without a swab!  One day, the kids (and sometimes teachers) complain a bit, then they are out for a day or two.
I sent "J" to the nurse's office one morning after he put his head on the table and announced, "My throat can't say any words," and then, as I anticipated, he was out "sick."
A few days later, when I picked him up, "J" eagerly bounded up the stairs to the Reading Club Room, clearly back to his old self.  "Did you miss me?" he asked.  Without waiting for an answer (he most likely knew I had missed him), "J" continued, "I had a sore throat and bad temp-for-shure, so I went to the doctor.  He looked at my throat and told me I had The Striped Throat!" 
I smiled assured that my diagnosis days earlier was accurate.  "The doctor gave me pink medicine and told my mom to buy those wipes in the yellow can, like the ones you have," he volunteered waving his arm towards my wipes-that-try-to-keep-germs-like-strep-under-control!  "Now, I am all better and can read again.  It's a good thing you have those yellow wipes so you won't get The Striped Throat."    
As he eagerly began reading Goldie and the Three Bears on my freshly wiped down table, I was glad that ol' pink medicine was clearing the "stripes" from his throat.  With the image of fading throat stripes clearly in my head, I'll be reminded to generously use those ol' yellow wipes to make sure the ol' Striped Throat stays away from my reading table! 



8 comments:

Donna Smith said...

Love it! It is always fun to see how a kid will try to make sense of his world with words he knows. "Strep" just isn't in his vocabulary; but "striped" is! I also loved how he said his throat couldn't say any words. Perfect description!

Michelle Haseltine said...

Hahaha!! This post made me laugh!!! I'm glad J is back and feeling better. Thank you for sharing! :)

Jaana said...

I think I have to use those yellow wipes on Monday morning at school! After all, J. must be right! Thanks for a fun post this morning!

Terje said...

Ha-ha. Funny. Thank you for haring.

Linda B said...

I hope you can stay clear of that 'striped throat' too, Anita. So cute what kids hear & then take as their own. It's everywhere, just have to hope it doesn't stay, right?

jenbaum said...

Haha! Love it. Earlier this week one of my students had to be out of school due to a concussion. When I asked his brother how he was doing, the next day, he replied with, "Well, he has to keep staying home still because his head is still just too dizzy." :)

Tara said...

Ha! Kids really put a new twist on old stuff. I wash every desk down with those Clorox wipes every blessed morning and afternoon. Don't want that striped throat in my classroom if I can help it!

Carol said...

What a great kid story! We have lots of that striped throat stuff traveling around school now too! And it is amazing how those of us who are teachers can diagnose it! And we are right about 99% of the time!