Labels

Wednesday, March 26, 2014

#sol14 Day 27 Sustained by Coffee, Conversation and Companionship

The announcement was, "There's coffee and goodies in the faculty room." So, most of us, even though there was a teaching day ahead went, like lemmings, for the free coffee and food.  Somehow, the lure of substance seemed comforting at that moment.  Yet, the real need was probably for the companionship that ensued.

The room was already filled with grieving teachers filling their plates with food when I arrived.  "You know," someone said as she slathered a bagel with cream cheese," Jews eat at times like theseIt helps."
"You don't know eating and drinking until you've seen the Italians before and after a wake" claimed the nearby friend.
"The Irish, we drink a wee bit to get through these times," said a third!

"Let me tell you a story that will make you smile," said another teacher. " My son, 'G' an eager third grader facing his first State English Language Arts State test told us he was 'excited about the upcoming state tests.'  'G' didn't wait for a response before adding, 'I'm really excited because I know all about states."
"His older and wiser brother and I looked at each other," she added shaking her head! "We were wondering WHO should tell him the truth about the upcoming tests!  So I, the wise mother, began to burst "G's" bubble and share that the ELA would ask him to read for 3 mornings in a row for about 2 hours a day.  'G,' ever the optimist, listened and then smiled, saying, 'Well I guess that's a good thing because I do not know the capital of China, yet!" 

We laughed, smiled and remembered the innocence of youth and our promise to protect them, as much as we can, from the trials and tribulations of life.
I smiled as I headed back to my room to prepare for the hard day ahead thinking about gathering together, the power of stories, and the many slices of our lives.
I wonder if generations of people have come together thinking that it was the food that would sustain them through the tough times?
I'm sure that the older and wiser ones figured out that the food was just the vehicle to taking us to the conversation and companionship we need most to sustain us in tough times.

9 comments:

Amy Rudd said...

It's funny how similar things are happening around me. A sign has gone up in our lounge and someone is bringing in food every day from now until break...and who knows after break. Hope all goes well. Poor "g"!

Michelle Haseltine said...

I love "G"s positive attitude!! And there's nothing like food and a room full of teachers! Enjoy your treats! :)

Book Mama said...

Food is so comforting--but so are friends and stories like the one about your friend's son. The food brings us together but sustains us just as much as laughter and friendship and together-ness...

ABoyden said...

I liked your paragraph that included "...the food was just the vehicle. . ." Wise and true and thoughtful slice today :-))
Www.parenyingandpedagogy.blogspot.com

Cindy said...

When you know someone is grieving or hurting, you don't always know how to help. Sharing food is often what you decide upon in those moments, often because you just don't know what else to do. But it really does connect and sustain.

Julie Johnson said...

Food is always what I think of first when I want to comfort someone (or myself). But, you're right, the companionship that goes along with eating great food is so important. The sharing of stories, laughing together, and good food can keep us all going. :)

Tara said...

The food, the snatches of conversation, the turning to community - you work in a lovely place!

Jaana said...

Food opens doors and hearts. It brings us closer. It gives us hope.

Linda B said...

Good to hear that you all came together, Anita. And thanks for sharing the funny story, funny at least to us. I hope his bubble is too burst after the experience.