Labels

Friday, March 6, 2015

#sol15 March 6 We're just days from spring




I heard a bird squawk,
While the March winds did blow.
Tis is not what I planned
Everything's covered with snow!
"We're just days from Spring,"
I promised, "this much I know".

The schools, they did close,
It was wise I suppose.
"We're just days from Spring,"
Reporters promised, "this much I know."

I hopped onto Pintrest, Twitter and Facebook
To find out what's new,
I read half of the SOL posts!
I usually read just a few.
I opened my bookbag,
After all, report cards are due.
I did some laundry,
Dirty clothes? There were a few.
"It's nice to get caught up"
I thought, "that sure is true!"

Then, I pulled out a book,
And read till the end.
I opened my computer,
Wrote a post, prepared to hit send.
"You better enjoy this day,"
I thought,
As I grabbed one thing to mend, 
"There will be lots to do
When winter finally comes to an end!
And, we're just days from Spring,
That fact I can defend!"

Thanks to Mrs.Shaklee (my third grade teacher who made us memorize a poem every week) and to Oliver Herford for his mentor poem that has stayed nestled in my brain for a long time.




Previous
I Heard a Bird Sing
Oliver Herford

Next

I heard a bird sing
In the dark of December.
A magical thing
And sweet to remember.

"We are nearer to Spring
Than we were in September,”
I heard a bird sing
In the dark of December. 

4 comments:

Linda B said...

You described your 'snow day' just right, Anita, and one additional good part is that you remembered that poem that you had memorized. Sweet memory.

Tara said...

You did enjoy the day - and yet, you also got so much done! Bravo!

robin said...

I love your picture and the poem you shared. What a wonderful way to relish an unexpected day off. Bravo indeed!

Stacey said...

Never in my life have I been this excited about spring time. It seriously cannot get here fast enough. (We set a record for cold today here in Harrisburg. It hasn't been this cold since 1901!)