Labels

Wednesday, March 13, 2024

SOL#24 March 13 If You Give a Child a Story


I was going to reflect on the Dawn of the Pandemic,
But this real life slice begs to be told, today.

"Again?" the little girl implored.

"Yes, we can read it again," her Mom smiled as she turned back to the cover of If You Give A Mouse a Cookie. The little one leaned into her Momma clearly finding joy in the rhythm and rhyme of the classic. 

Meanwhile, I was playing Sudoku on my phone as I had left my Kindle at home. I had not expected a crowded waiting room or a long wait in this Post-Covid era where the classic People magazines have disappeared.

Again?" the little girl begged as they finished the second read.

"Of course we can read it again," her Mom sighed, clearly having put this book on a regular, waiting room-auto-read.

I wanted to hop across the seats and join this reading experience. I didn't. Clearly, this was reading a partnership that valued the captive season of waiting rooms.

Without staring, I observed the duo through a 3rd read. The Mom's phone dinged softly, suggesting she was getting texts or emails from someone. Yet, the duo became one as they embraced the moments waiting, together.

As I write this, I do realize I could end this SOL here.  But, there is a bit more to this story.

Not too many years ago, that experience would never have happened!  Not too many years ago, little ones diagnosed with Downs Syndrome were sent to institutions at birth.  Not too many years ago, this little one and her mom would never have known that If You Give a Child a Story, They Will Ask For More

3 comments:

patricia emerson said...

Oh my gosh! What a powerful vignette. It is the unexpected ending coming around to your title that shifts everything. (My visual altered slightly as well; I don't know what to even say about that!) The Numeroff books have done a service to writers and readers, mothers and offspring, everywhere. Thanks for this today (and the reminder that while we seem to make little progress towards more humanity, change is happening).

hmorris said...

I love this! And yes, kids will ask for more stories!

Denise Krebs said...

Anita, this is so precious. Yes, that ending! Perfection. I love the way you engage your reader with: "As I write this, I do realize I could end this SOL here. But, there is a bit more to this story." Wow. Such a great slice.