Labels

Saturday, March 23, 2024

#sol24 March23 I Might Go Back

Went there on a few dates, long, long ago.  
As a teenager, I was not a fan.
Took my kids there, a couple of times.  
They were not fans.
Took my kids there for birthday parties, 
A few times. Always complaints.
Loud, confusing, boring, frustrating.

Went there today, oh my it has changed!
There are no more tally cards.  
There are not more smelly shoes.
You set up your game on a computer.
Efforts are displayed on a giant screen, 
With an instant replay!
Had my best score there ever, 81,
Thanks to bumpers you add
With the flip of a switch!

It's still noisy.
It's still hard to do.
I need those bumper guards.
It's no longer a cheap date!
 They now serve cocktails and salads.
It was better than I remembered,
I might go back, there!
I cannot believe I am saying that!



6 comments:

Melanie Meehan said...

You didn't need to write anything else to bring me back in time other than the smelly shoes. I REALLY struggled with those! Sounds like you had fun. This was an interesting post to read after Dawn's because she wrote about the modernization of jury duty. The two of you have a theme going!

dmsherriff said...

Like Melanie said, what a trip back in time with the tally cards and smelly shoes! Really, with such little words and a perfect structure you give us a glimpse in your past experience with bowling alleys and land us right in the present with a pleasant surprise. Thanks so much for sharing! Oh and bumpers are key!

Tracey Carbone said...

I connected with so many of those details from times so long ago. I always loved it, but I should go back to see what bowling in modern day is like.

fireflytrails said...

We have been talking about taking the grandchildren THERE, but many of my memories match yours. Thanks for this good-to-know info about how things have changed. I think we might give it another try!

Dr. Kimberly Haynes Johnson said...

Such fun THERE! Oh, this brings back the days when my kids were little and we had a bowling league. I think I rolled more gutter balls than anything, but I do know I got a turkey once. I love the sound - and can hear it - of the pins falling and the ball hitting the back of the wall and the balls hitting all the lanes.

Anonymous said...

I haven’t been to a bowling alley since I was in my teens. None around us anymore. arjeha