Labels

Wednesday, March 6, 2024

#sol24 March6 Inside, Again


I have spent a big chunk of my life inside elementary schools. I  was "that" teacher who created lessons to address diverse needs and IEPs based on data. I did the required bus, lunch, and class coverage duties with a smile and while I did not enjoy rainy mornings, I loved the chance to see students in diverse settings. I served on committees and volunteered to work on school based projects. Even in "retirement" I am lucky to support teachers to be all they can be, but from afar.

Rarely, these days, I find an invitation to be inside a school again, but when I do, my heart swells three sizes (like the Grinch) and I am invigorated by the energy of learning and growing students. Over the last few years, I have been a reader in a preschool class, a part of writing celebrations, an observer of sporting events, and a consumer of orchestra concerts. Now, I can add science fair visitor to my list of accomplishments.

While I must admit I do not like the politics that infiltrate school buildings and districts, I am very lucky to have spent so many hours inside of schools. Today I felt that quiet energy that emanates from teachers, learners, musicians, and athletes doing the work if learning and growing that happens inside schools.  It really felt good to be back inside.

I am sharing a picture of a science fair, nestled temporarily inside a school gym, waiting for the energy of students and teachers. 



3 comments:

aggiekesler said...

Your slice is teeming with excitement! I'm glad you could be back inside a school and be surrounded by the buzz of learners. :)

Juliette said...

It's great to get back inside a school, in an environment that you write so passionately about.

Barbara Edler said...

Anita, Today I spent an entire morning with students coming in to speak with us about the arts. It was fun to see so many different students, although talking with them in seven sessions in a row was a bit overwhelming. I love the quiet photo knowing that the room will soon be bursting with energy. Got a love the science fairs!