Labels

Friday, March 8, 2024

#sol24 March 8 Family Games: Oh My

Long ago, when I was growing up, we played lots of card and board games. In those days, there were no soccer or lacrosse practices to fill our evenings and weekends. Sometimes we played with parents, but often Scrabble, Monopoly Cribbage and Canasta marathons took place with siblings and friends.

As my own children were growing up, there were some, but fewer card and board games. Those bed time extender games of Candyland and Crazy 8 are memories that make me smile; but, the options to watch a movie or to play sports sucked up lots of those potential game playing hours.

So, looking ahead to the pending Easter holiday where I will not be gifting my grands candy, I've been exploring newer card and board games that I could gift wrap in big yellow bows. Most of my grands are approaching peak game playing (in my opinion) age in an era where endless video options are a click away.  It has been an interesting and frustrating search 

I have not, yet, ordered anything!  

(these are real games)



Perhaps, I will go back to the "older games!"



2 comments:

Dr. Kimberly Haynes Johnson said...

I really like the idea of giving games that promote time spent together talking, laughing, strategizing, learning the grace of losing and the grace of winning. I, too, loved games. My children still do, too. Rack-O is a favorite. So is Mancala.

Leigh Anne Eck said...

We are a big card-playing and board game-playing family too. We like playing Sequence, but I'm not sure about the age of your grandkids. Apples to Apples for Kids was also a fun one!