Labels

Tuesday, March 26, 2024

#sol24 March 27 Seniors Just Wanna Have Fun

 

Today's post was spurred by
Over at Two Writing Teachers SOL

I have observed that Ahh feeling of clear happiness and total enjoyment of the moment many times in my life.  There are the images of my newborn grandchildren and of my children holding on to those special babies. There are images of celebrations and birthdays and graduations, too. 

Yet, sometimes random images from life can give me that Ahh feeling, like the gray-haired couple who pulled up beside my aging gray sedan at a stop light on the first sort-of-spring-weather day.  Honestly, it was still much too cold for a top-down-car day and I suspect they both were wearing long underwear and gloves in order to survive the experience.  Yet, their bright-blue-brand-new-appearing Beemer seemed like it was itching to be out on the road, still covered in winter's gray residue. 

She had a bright yellow headscarf with a tail flapping in the breeze as well as smile as wide as the Mississippi. I could not possibly hear what she was saying to her red-baseball-hat-clad partner as the music was blaring, Brown-Eyed Girl and the engine was roaring to go as soon as the light changed.

They were a colorful sight that not only caught my eye, but also brought me indirect happiness. 
I've thought of them in the days since, a reminder that gray-haired seniors just wanna have fun!

Stock photo, not a real image of that moment.


5 comments:

Debbie Lynn said...

It's so true...wonderful random things we see that affect us and stick with us for days. What an awesome image, oh which, I bet you could write an entire book about. Thanks for reminding me about the joys of the world around us. :)

Glenda Funk said...

Fran,
I love that last line. Yes, we do wanna have fun. I wonder who decided that couple needed a Beemer. I wish you had a picture of the couple to share.

arjeha said...

A perfect example of age being just a number. They were enjoying themselves and they also brought a smile to your face.

Barb Edler said...

I love the way you describe the couple and their joy within that moment with the top down wearing a red cap and a yellow scarf listening to Brown Eyed Girl, which is such an upbeat song who can resist it. Love your post. Thanks for sharing the joy!

Ramona said...

I'm a member of that senior group, but as a fellow educator, Seniors just Wanna Have Fun, did not make me think of senior citizens, but of those senior students anxious to fly the coop this time of year. It's good to have fun, even in our golden years. Loved this slice of your day.