Labels

Monday, March 4, 2024

SOL24 March 5 For the First Time

 

I remember the day each of us eager kindergarten students went eagerly down the hall and were screened for hearing and vision concerns.  It felt like an honor to be chosen to show off what we could do,  I thought I knew all the letters and clearly I didn't realize it at the time, but I failed both tests.

I went to the ENT and had surgery not long after.  I also went to the eye doctor, soon after, and got my first glasses thanks to that mandatory screening. While I did wear contact lenses for a portion of my adult life, my glasses have always been part of who I am. Until today.

"It's 20/20 for distance, perfect," she said in a way that suggested she expected that results, "throw those glasses away.  By the way, you are also are approved for night driving but, your close up vison will need support. To be honest, I suspect you will just need reading glasses."

"But I NEED  my glasses," I exclaim
"Often long time glasses wearers, like you, feel like they need gkasses so they wear bifocals with clear lenses on top, because wearing glasses is what feels better. Ultimately, it's your choice," she smiled, "and I suggest you wait a few weeks to make your decision. I promise you are going to adjust to perfect vision."  

It felt weird and strange, but I drove home without glasses, for the first time ever.

2 comments:

Joy said...

That experience must have been both exhilarating and scary all at the same time. I always find it fascinating how hesitant we humans are to change, even if it's a good change. May this newfound freedom bring you heaps of joy in the coming days/months/years!

Paul Fornale said...

I relate to this in reverse. I did not realize that I had 20/15 vision all my life until I noticed a difference about ten years ago and learned that my vision had degraded...to 20/20. I felt impaired. Within a few years, I had to wear a light prescription for reading, which has not changed significantly since. Still, I had a hard time getting used to wearing glasses--and there is no possibility of wearing contact lenses. I'm too sensitive.

Thanks for this delightful post.