Labels

Tuesday, March 12, 2024

#sol24 March 12 I Wish I Had


 This month, I am participating in the SOL Writing Challenge.  
I'm reading some incredibly reflective posts.

I find myself growing increasingly reflective.

1. I wish I had begun taking better care of my body when I was younger. I let the demands of my family and career dominate and did not put my needs first, ever. I got up early to iron and clean rather than exercise! I am doing much better in this area, now, but it's much harder with achy joints!

2. I wish I had taken more trips learning first hand how others live and work rather than just reading about life outside my own.  I did not advocate for first hand explorations. I am doing better in that area as well, but it too is much harder with achy joints. 

3. I wish I had enjoyed every day of baby snuggles, toddler tantrums, and teenaged angst. It went by in a flash and while the memories are powerful, those days disappeared while I vacuumed and cooked. I have tried to soak up as much as I can with grandchildren, but they have their own busy lives, already.

4. I wish I had been more respectful of the challenges of aging with relatives and friends. I remember being tired of talking about illnesses and pains. I remember how upset my mother was when I forgot her 48th wedding anniversary. It was the last week of school and all, but I really could have called! I am trying to be a more compassionate friend and relative now that my own discussions focus on health and my calendar is filled with appointments!

5. I wish I had known when I was younger, what I know now.  Life will be filled with bright sunshiny moments followed by sharp turns that knock you out of your seat. Life will be filled with happy days and many challenging days. Life is amazing but does not turn out the way you thought it would. 

6. I wish I had been less judgmental and more open to diverse viewpoints. Religion, politics, lifestyle choices, living arrangements. Now I know that the only value that matters is caring about others, even if they do not know of or care about you!

7. I wish I had known how much I would miss those who have gone from this earthly life. I wish I could take back those years of stress and name them what they really were: an opportunity to give care.
Hold on tight to those you love as the days are long and the years short.

I wish I had known we grow too soon old and too late smart!

7 comments:

Vivian Chen said...

So many good reminders to appreciate what is here and now. It's not too late!

Sally said...

These are powerful reflections. Thanks for sharing.

Amy said...

What a fantastic, reflective post filled with lessons for all of us to remember!

Melanie White said...

I found myself nodding my head for so many of these reflections, and realizing that we can be both (impatient and full of love) because we are human. I appreciated each one of these reflections and you've given me some inspiration for my next post. Thank you, Anita.

Leigh Anne Eck said...

After turning 60 in January, I can relate to many of your reflections. That last line is kind of a stinger!

arjeha said...

Unfortunately, we have all been. We get so caught up in our own daily lives that we don’t always pay attention to those around us. Thank you for these reminders.

Alice G said...

Thank you for this list. Your reflections are good advice without saying you're giving advice. #7 got me.