Labels

Saturday, March 2, 2024

#sol24 March 2 An Act of Love

Day 2 of the Two Writing Teacher Slice of Life Challenge

"Do you know Matilda?" she asked confident I would have no idea about the Roald Dahl classic.

"Matilda had just been published when I read it to your Mom," I said reflecting on that week, long ago, when Mono ravaged her Mom's body and I struggled to keep her Mom awake!  My mind wandered to a memory of that read-aloud

The little one continued talking about Matilda while my mind wandered to a long-ago after recess read aloud of Where the Caged Bird Sings in Ms. Huber's class. I caught glimpses of that read-aloud as I pushed into sixth grade for reading support; I had to borrow the book as I was as mesmerized as her students. '

I thought of that (last) read-aloud to my Dad, her great-grandfather, who was too weak to hold the newspaper (New York Times, Maureen Dowd). Then, as minds sometimes do, I thought about that last read-aloud to my brother, her great Uncle, who we knew would be gone before my article would be published (Including Matthew: Assessment Guided Instruction).

Those bittersweet read aloud memories were joined by a recent glimpse of a much loved newborn and her grandmother sharing a Madeline.  I could imagine the power of that read-aloud to plant seeds of love that will intermingle with roots from long ago, "...lived twelve little girls, in two straight lines..."
 
I thought about Kate DiCamillo who said something about reading aloud being an act of love.

Reading aloud ushers us into a third place, a safe room, it’s a room where everyone involved, reader and the listener, can put down their defenses and lower their guard."



6 comments:

Dr. Kimberly Haynes Johnson said...

Reading IS an act of love. It brings memory, it brings pride and joy, it bridges understanding and shares life. Your memories are sweet and bittersweet....and painful. Moments captured, preserved, remembered, that bring the past back to the. moment and remind us of the power of words shared. I, too, shared about the pride of a read-aloud today in my blog. I was grateful to be a part of the journey of a local poet who shared his published book with us in the coffee shop this week. There is something that brings people together when people read aloud.

Sally said...

Memories are so interesting. Your slice shows how strongly you can recall the last read-aloud shared. So powerful. I also am glad you added the quote from Kate DiCamilia. Thanks for sharing.

Glenda Funk said...

I’m making read aloud memories w/ my grandson, who is now 20 months old. I had fun reading “The Pout, Pout Fish” (his choice) when I saw him a couple weeks ago. Reading aloud is a gift for both of us.

Amy said...

I found you! Thank goodness for the comments on Two Writing Teachers.
I love this ode to read aloud. This line stuck with me: "I could imagine the power of that read-aloud to plant seeds of love that will intermingle with roots from long ago."
Even my students who hate reading independently love read aloud time. It's one of the best times of our day, and I have many fond memories of being both the reader and the listener.

fireflytrails said...

Oh my. Such tender memories. And I agree that a read aloud is an act of love. I miss reading to my classes (when a rowdy boy once got caught up in a story and afterwards asked, "Where do you get a book like that?") But reading to my grandchildren IS a bit more snuggly, after all. Thanks for these inspiring words.

Denise Krebs said...

Ah, yes, Anita, reading aloud is an act of love. I love your post and how you gave evidence of that love in all the many situations, and then mention Kate DiCamillo's comment. So beautiful.