Labels

Thursday, March 28, 2024

#sol24 March 29 Good Friday's Memories


Good Friday has almost always been a day "off" from school and for me, it spurs many, diverse memories.

Last year, I was happily cleaning and cooking for an extended family gathering at my house. All of my grandchildren were to be gathered under my roof and I was as excited as a Meme could be. I made Easter pails for all of the children and listened to Bruce Springsteen as I prepped our desserts. I had so much to celebrate.

Two years ago, I was boarding a plane for a long awaited trip to Italy to eat, drink and celebrate that tiny part of my heritage, wearing a mask, and worried sick about each and every Covid test we took. There were many! Yet, we left JFK filled with excitement, sitting in Business!
 
Four years ago, I was beyond sad, confused and depressed. There really wasn't anything to celebrate. I went to my son's house and walked around outside without hugging or being close to anyone.  It was so weird. Schools and churches were all closed.  I watched Shark Tank all day long.  I am not sure, but I  think I cried more that once.

Nine yeas ago, I was  doing crafts and making decorations for the holiday ahead of us with my nieces who came for a "play date" while their parents worked.  Soon, most of my immediate family would be gathered in my dining room for what would be the last time at that table, in that house, or as that family. It was a good thing we did not know what was ahead as I remember a wonderful, joy filled day with a table filled with flowers made by my nieces. 

Twelve years ago, we went to Little Italy to buy fresh pasta, delicious pastries and the rest of the supplies for Easter dinner.  We put everything in a cooler and then we walked the High Line, all of it.  We went to St. Patrick's Cathedral in NYC for mass that was long and afforded lots of time to think, reflect, pray, and hope.  It was late and we were starving when we finally got home, but we were energized and hopeful.
 
Twenty years ago, I spent the day cleaning as my house was out of control dirty.  I was back in grad school and my my kitchen was filled with the paper evidence of my research and dissertation.  I spent the day sorting data into the drawers of an old dresser I took from one of my children's rooms. I was thinking of Easter dinner and headed at some point to the store but I was also planning for a soon to be college graduation. We had no idea that life would soon change and colon cancer would emerge, again, and change our family.

Many, years ago, I was sewing an Easter dress for my toddler while my husband and that toddler made an Easter Rabbit out of snow that covered our yard,  I was clearly expecting a second child and  we were going to be hosting my family in two days. The house needed to be cleaned. There were dust bunnies everywhere.  I think I was as happy as a human can be!

Many, many years ago, one of my siblings found my mother's secret stash of Easter candy in her closet. Candy was not usually part of our world and so it was a chance to eat our way into a candy coma. We ate our weight in candy that night. That was the end of the Easter Bunny for us!

2 comments:

Dr. Kimberly Haynes Johnson said...

This was a reflective slice of a walk back in time through your life and the ups and downs. I like the Easter rabbit of snow.....what fun! I can't decide whether to make us an Easter basket this year, because like you when you found all that candy, the two of us will just eat and eat and eat.....and it won't be pretty. Thank you for taking us on a walk of you!

Britt Decker said...

I adore this format for a slice!! So much fun to read; I feel like I learned so much about you in a sweet post. Happy Easter!