Labels

Friday, March 15, 2024

#sol24 March 16 Thanks, Google

 

The rainy weather gave way to warmer temperatures this week and for the first time in a very long time, some of my grands came to play outside (or pass the time waiting for their mom to return from a far away trip).

I have been outside to bring in the garbage cans and walk in the neighborhood, but not to carefully survey the damage the long rainy winter wrought, until today.  I picked up a huge pile of sticks and pulled a huge pile of weeds while we embraced the warmth and sunshine. Then, as their vehicles rapidly traversed the chalk driveway drawn roads, I noticed the homebuilding activity in the rafters stopping me in my tracks.  

There it was, at least a foot long, nestled in the highest eaves of my house. There it was, a hive of busy activity with guests leaving and arriving within seconds. There it was, busier than Newark and Kennedy Airports combined.  There is was, a clear home to a growing and expanding clan of some sort of winged insects that was not going to mesh well with warmer weather and living on my patio. There it was, a hive of epic proportions that was going to need a professional removal.

I went to make a call appealing for professional help when I realized I did not know what kind of insects these were.

"I think they are bees, but ask Google," the grand suggested.

So, I asked Google describing the huge umbrella appearing nest with clear layers and the intense activity. 

"These are wasps," Googled responded immediately without ever coming to my house or seeing first hand what was going on in my backyard.

I called. The pest removal company answered. They needed to know if it was wasps or bees.  I explained my Google research.  They were clear of an estimate and a plan and will be here likely before you read this.  

Thanks, again and again and again, Google.

3 comments:

Dr. Kimberly Haynes Johnson said...

Knowing that they will be there before I read this put my heart at ease. Wasps and hornets and yellow jackets are the things of horror movies for me. My husband often tells people that whenever he goes into a barn (something we do around here in rural Georgia, lots of structures like that where we live), most people are looking down to be sure there are no snakes coiled up....not him, he assures everyone....he's looking up for wasp nests. I'm so glad you saw it before the grandkids got near it. When mine come, I often check the yard for ant beds because we had a bad experience with one of those on a visit one time. I like the way the narrative reads, the way you kept suspense and used repetition. Instead of just jumping right to the action, you took us there on the discovery right alongside you.

Barbara Edler said...

Isn't it amazing how quickly we can learn things or search for information due to search engines and Google? I would definitely wanting to get rid of a wasp nest. Good luck!

Becky Leff said...

That is a very large nest! Wasps are nasty. I would guess that if it had been bees, the removal people would carefully move them to a better location since bees are so helpful. Not that you want them living in or on your house!