Labels

Monday, March 11, 2024

#sol24 March11 Water, Water, Everywhere

 

I grew up under the influence of a Rachel Carson embracing civil engineer who found his niche in protecting our water supply.  Water was not something we took for granted. We knew those man made "lakes" in upstate NY made NYC possible!  

We learned early to turn off the water while we were brushing and to take environmentally responsible showers. We heard tales of a bathing just once a week and learned to take only the amount of water we would drink!  We knew early on that watering your lawn would prevent the grass from developing the deeper roots it needed!

It seemed that every year we were in some sort of drought emergency and water was being rationed. It seemed like brown, burnt lawns and dirty cars were just a way of life.

As I listened to the rain and the bone chilling winds the other night, I was pretty sure my basement would once again take on water.  It did.  Something about the water table being too high, they say.  Mop and bleach again, I say.

I still take short showers and only use water to rinse my teeth, but I sure wish my dad was around to see how much water we have now!  


this picture was from earlier this winter, but the scene was the same
waterfront property, again


No comments: