Labels

Sunday, July 3, 2011

Just Thinking

I have been quiet on the blog for a while; however, that does not mean that I have been reading and thinking!  I've been busy wrapping up the school year (that is the topic for another post - note to self) and preparing for a new semester (Summer II).  In theory, it should be easy.  I have taught the course that starts anew on Tuesday for about 7 years!  I know the course requirements and should (theoretically) just be able to show up and teach; however, that is NOT the way it is for effective teachers OF ANY GRADE.  The well kept secret of teachers everywhere is that we are ALREADY thinking about what we will do next year / next semester.  We are the one profession that "restarts" every year and thus we are always trying to get "it" better!  I am confident that there are both kindergarten teachers AND high school teachers AND college professors EVERYWHERE who are thinking about how the next year / semester might be better.  In fact, the irony of all this is that the MOST effective teachers are the ones who are MOST reflective of their practice.  Perhaps that really is not all that ironic as I bet the best surgeons, plumbers, and cleaners are the ones who are reflecting and planning for the next time...all the time....
My reading for today: Interactive Storybook Reading....it's not enough to just "read" to kids...

No comments: