Labels

Wednesday, November 30, 2011

Right Around the Corner

Two summers ago, my husband got out the bikes that sat for many years and said, "What do you think about going on a bike ride?"  It had been at least 12 years since either of us had been on a bike and there was laundry to do...and sewing I could have done; however, we checked the tires and threw the bikes in the back of our truck and headed to one of the bike trails that we had heard of in eastern Dutchess County.  It was scary at first, but you really do not forget how to ride and we did 22 miles of bike trail that day.  I was tired that day!  Last summer, explorations of the area's "bike trails" expanded to include some MAGNIFICENT trails that offer bike riding along the paths where trains once transversed our area.  As I rode along, I felt very close to the strong women and men who rode along those paths a century ago.  The views were breathtaking and I could not imagine how we let these treasures sit unopened for so long!
But on this cold rainy ALMOST December morning, this post is not about bike riding - that is FAR from my mind this morning....it's just that during my time on the treadmill....I was thinking about all the things that DO get away...all the things I do NOT stop to take the time to do....things that are RIGHT around the corner from my daily life....cookies I WANT to bake and share....gifts I WANT to make....PLACES I WANT TO GO........I know I set a good example for others about how to work hard and be conscientious....but I need to work much harder at doing what I WANT to do....and enjoying the beauty and majesty in every little thing - around every corner....

No comments: