Labels

Sunday, December 4, 2011

Reading online - different but not bad

This morning, I read a pretty fabulous ( but sad) account of the lifelong impact of the bombing of Pearl Harbor in the Poughkeepsie Journal.  There were personal stories from veterans and family members who are older but still vividly remember the moment life changed.  There was also the edited-written-now infamous - speech that President Roosevelt gave to the nation...."Today is a day that will live in infamy..." THEN, I logged onto the Journal site so that I could post something about editing and SAVE a fantastic edited letter from then Pres. Roosevelt about the attack....and then I realized that the STORY was the same online...but the visuals were different....
 
Sadly, the image of the edited letter was not available online - who know why - perhaps restrictions from the Roosevelt Library or perhaps because it would be lost online......
 
HOWEVER, the online version had the audio and videotape of a veteran who was (i assume) interviewed and written about in this article.....his voice and his memories are compelling....
 
I am reminded AGAIN that this new online literacy is different - but offers not only hyperlinks, but also visual and auditory literacy.  
 
Mr. Ousterhout's voice reminded me of a message I heard this morning on the treadmill from another "download" of sorts! Yesterday, I downloaded some Christmas mixesc onto my  MP3 player to keep me going during my treadmill time in December....and so, for the first time FOR ME, I really listened to Justin Bieber singing a song whose lyrics stuck in my head:
 
Someday at Christmas men won't be boys
Playing with bombs like kids play with toys

One warm December our hearts will see

A world where men are free


Someday at Christmas there'll be no wars
When we have learned what Christmas is for
When we have found what life's really worth
There'll be peace on earth



http://www.poughkeepsiejournal.com/article/20111204/NEWS/312040082/


No comments: