Labels

Thursday, November 22, 2012

Giving Thanks

Today, I am giving thanks for the many blessings of my life.  I really do have a great family (even if they drive me batty at times.)  I have the best job(s) in the world (even if my work day is 15 hours long every day.)  I have dear friends and relatives for whom I would do and give anything (even if I see them rarely.)  My own children are finding their own unique paths in this world using their own gifts.  I have young children in my life to provide me with hope for the future and elderly people I see every day who remind me of my roots.

This year, especially, I am aware of how fragile our existence, families, homes, friends are when compared to the forces of our world. I will keep in my prayers those whose lives have been turned upside down while I hope on tightly to those I hold dear. 

This week, in preparation for this day of thanks, I spent a few days clarifying misconceptions about the roots of this holiday. 
  • Columbus did not celebrate the first Thanksgiving with the Pilgrims.  He did not come over with the Pilgrims. He never went to Massachusetts, ever.
  • The Pilgrims did not share the first Thanksgiving with Martin Luther King even though they were both seeking freedom.  The Pilgrims came for religious freedom.  Martin Luther King is remembered for his fight for freedom for all people to live and work together in our country. 
  • There were no stores around in those days and people had to make their own clothes and grow their own food.
  • They did not have belts to hold up their pants or elastic to hold up their socks, so they used strings and garters.
  • Boys wore dresses until the age of 6 or 7 and girls wore petticoats and dresses, every single day.
  • The first Thanksgiving table did not look like this!

I am grateful for this free site.  It's a great resource, even after Thanksgiving. It's a virtual field trip through time. 
http://www.scholastic.com/scholastic_thanksgiving/


 

No comments: