Labels

Tuesday, December 16, 2014

#sol2014 I thought about Finkelstein's

We drove past Finkelstein's on Sunday.
It was not the grand building that lives in my memory, 
but, it still took my breath away.  
I used to love going to the dentist, 
despite that awful drill and the pungent smells, 
because it meant a coveted trip to the library 
(across the street).

I thought about the dusty shelves in Finkelstein's
as a reluctant reader told me how much he enjoyed   
Red Fox and His Canoe
I hesitantly introduced the classic easy reader last week
aware that it's depiction of Native American's was cliche.
He read it again and again this weekend,
a predictable tale of a bear 
who learns that more is not always better
reminding me that books, in spite of cultural differences,
reflect timeless messages.

I thought about the dusty shelves in Finkelstein's
as an avid reader told me how much she enjoyed   
I probably wouldn't have picked this graphic novel it for her
aware of it's topic and depiction of 
how our society responds to those who are different.
Yet she devoured it's message that we can
overcome challenges and find joy,
 imploring me to pick up another children's book,
making me think of those dusty shelves in Finkelstein's,again.



6 comments:

Tara said...

There is something about a wonderful bookstore - every child should have a Finklesteins in their lives.

Nanc said...

It reminds me of our deli that was so much more than a deli...the first store that we could go to alone...with penny candy. I also love the name...Finkelsteins...they just sound fun! xo

fran said...

I love your comparison in your poem! So nicely written. This has me thinking of parallel structures again. (and is putting poetry BACK on my list!)
THANKS, Anita!

elsie said...

A bookstore holds so much more than books. Lucky you to have a Finkelsteins. We are sadly lacking in bookstores in my town.

Linda B said...

I love the way you set up this slice, Anita, rather a poem than prose, & beautiful. You should share it with Finkelsteins'!

drferreriblogspot.com said...

I guess I need to tweek my writing skills because Finkelstein's was/is a public library, not a bookstore! I do not live around there these days, but driving past stirred memories of good times exploring the magic of books.