Labels

Saturday, October 29, 2016

The Sharpener

My mom was meticulous about "giving away" her things to people who would use them.  As a child of the depression, she abhorred waste and hated the idea that things with some life left in them would find their way into the trash.  Most important, however, was her desire for each of her children and grandchildren to have some things around that would serve as "Nan" reminders!  It's been almost a year since she passed away, and I do treasure a few glasses and some dishes I have as my reminders more and more.
Yet, it is an old pencil sharpener that she had on her desk for many years that has provided smiles and happy reminders during this year-without-her.  I'm going to sound like my mother, now, but they don't make things like they used to!  Seriously, even the $60 pencil sharpener I got at Staples a while back broke pencil points better than it sharpened them!   
In some strange way, it feels like my mom smiles every time I sharpen a pencil with my new-to-me 1980's era, early electric pencil sharpener!Panasonic Kp-77 Auto-stop Electric Pencil Sharpener - Excellent Condition

By the way, I found one like it on ebay....
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Panasonic-Auto-Stop-Electric-Pencil-Sharpener-KP-77-Plunger-Feet-/321975274110?hash=item4af738ca7e:g:ybMAAOSwKtlWlp0F

1 comment:

Loralee said...

Love reading about Nan reminders!
It's why I love having treasures from the past around my house. I get it!
Would love to get my hands on a retro pencil sharpener!
So cool!