Labels

Tuesday, July 27, 2021

#sol2021 July 27 Present

I watched her focus on her phone, perhaps texting, scrolling, scanning, emailing, as her toddler wandered around the area aimlessly picking up sticks and leaves and rocks.  He made no attempts to engage in labeling of found treasures or conversation.  I wondered if he had a language delay or perhaps he just knew she was busy/distracted. Perhaps she was the babysitter/nanny or perhaps she was the mom/daytime caregiver; I really don't know and it really does not matter.  Perhaps she was distracted with family issues or perhaps her job /school/business or perhaps the world of social media. She was there in the park on a beautiful afternoon, but she was not really present in that child's life at that moment. 

I'll never know how the scenario played out over time as eventually I continued on my journey. Trust me, I am in no position to judge others as I graded papers, responded to writing journals and sometimes grabbed bits of the daily paper during my own children's ball games. 

But, I've been thinking about her and that little one who might have benefitted from some interaction and discussion about his finds.  I've been thinking about the myriad of teachers, parents, and caregivers balancing the many, many intersecting identities we have every day.  It reminded me of the days when my own children's needs were great and I would have to leave my mommy hat in the car along with my concerns and worries in order to don my teacher hat and meet the needs of my students.  

It was also a reminder, to me, to be present, not just a presence, in the lives of the people around me.  Perhaps she was there as I needed that reminder.  Perhaps we all need that reminder from time to time.


No comments: