Labels

Tuesday, June 5, 2012

Quick Write Tuesday - My View From My Porch


I knew from my first one that sunrise on the beach could stir up emotions and allow someone lucky enough to be up at that early hour, an opportunity to reflect on the majesty of our existence on earth. Getting to the beach is still high on my list of "want to dos" and those morning sunrises are surely sites to see. However, at our house, we have found that there is another site that offers someone lucky enough to experience it an equally majestic perspective of our earthly existence.  Let me explain.

From May until October, unless the rain is pouring down, we usually sit at the table on the porch that I always wanted.  Nestled in a cozy chair and wrapped in a sweatshirt when needed, the scent of bug candles typically reminds us that the view is coming soon.  We listen to the crickets reflect the degrees of the day and we share pieces of our own day - the wonderful and the not so great moments.  Usually, we fill our plates and our glasses and take in the earth's bounty while we watch the magical site unfold.  Then, at some pre-established moment, that changes every day, it emerges slowly from over the east facing hills. 

Sometimes, the glow is bright orange and it appears as if the sky is on fire.  On other evenings, the sky lights up in layers and it appears as if blankets are hiding the sun's good-night.  On other days, it appears as if the sky is blanked in sadness where nary a drop of sunlight can peak through the clouds. Each day it is different; each day it is special. At times, we run for the camera to remember the magic that appears; however, the pictures never seem to measure up to the images we take in as the evening becomes night. 

3 comments:

Amy Rudd said...

I like that image-crickets reflecting the degrees of the day! Sunsets are really amazing and you have painted a beautiful description with your words!

Margaret Simon said...

I love sunsets at my parents' home on a lake. The crickets chirp for me now. Your images are visible to me.

Ruth Ayres said...

The detail about the bug candles reminding you it's coming soon really sticks in my mind. Thanks for writing!
Ruth