Labels

Tuesday, July 3, 2012

A Brave, New, Wonderful World

We discussed gifts, but not gifts wrapped in bows like you are thinking.  We talked about the gifts others dream of having, like a sense of beauty and and eye for creating.  We talked about how these gifts could sustain life.  Then the discussion morphed to one about selling ourselves in a new world, virtual marketplace, on the Internet.
"It's scary," she said quietly, "putting yourself out there for others to evaluate."
"I know that," I responded, "the first time I linked to Slice of Life I was scared to death. But, it gets easier and the feedback from others will fuel your resolve, just you wait and see."
Thoughts whirled through my head as I reflected on the significance of your conversation.  All that we do, the first time, from going to kindergarten, to heading for college, starting a new job, agreeing to share our lives with others......is scary, in the beginning, because it is new and outside of our experiences.  It creates the sense of angst that we feel in our bones and teeth because it changes the way we "stand" before others.  I know, I am doing that right now.  While it's not exactly the brave new world of Adolf Huxley (thank goodness), it is a new world that challenges us to bravely embrace new ways of working, living and loving.  With all its challenges, it's a wonderful world. 

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

"It's scary," she said quietly, "putting yourself out there for others to evaluate."
SO true. I have been pondering some of this myself. Thanks for encouragement to do it.

Dana said...

"You can't have brave without scared." Linda Urban,Hound Dog True

Seems like the things in life that are worthwhile are usually those things that challenge us to step out of our comfort zone.

Amy Rudd said...

This reminds me of the motto about my ship, "A ship in port is safe, but that's not what ships are built for!" Sometimes we have to take the risk and go for it-in the end it's worth it and we learn from it!

Diana Martin said...

Sounds like an interesting conversation that you let us take a peak into. Were you talking about blogging?

Tara @ A Teaching Life said...

This is exactly the conversation I've has as well...so worth taking the plunge and going public with our writing, right?,

Julie Johnson said...

This conversation could be about so many things and it's so true. Each time we venture out into something new, it's very scary. The risks are usually worth it though. Thanks for sharing!