Labels

Sunday, January 20, 2013

Stenhouse: Gradual Release of Responsibility

I didn't do as much early morning reading as usual for a Sunday morning as the dog got away from my son....and we had to go look for the dog....and then we found the dog......that would be the personal narrative part of my morning....but now...before church...I am catching up...

SO, on  this morning's Twitter feed, there is an interesting podcast from Debbie Miller who is rethinking just HOW much modeling we do for kids.....

She notes,"Instead of modeling and modeling and modeling, now I’m thinking that we don’t want to go overboard—we model a little bit, send kids off to try it, and then through conferring and what we ask them to make and do, we can have a clear picture of exactly where they are."

Check it out....
http://blog.stenhouse.com/archives/2013/01/02/podcast-debbie-miller-rethinks-gradual-release-of-responsibility/

I must admit that I too think we sometimes spend TOO much time modeling (teaching) and not enough time doing guided practice for reading AND for writing....

Thanks for making me think and for sharing the link amy rudd@aruddteacher100


No comments: