Labels

Tuesday, April 16, 2013

#Slice of life 2013 Why? Again?



"Did you hear about Boston?" she questioned as I peered at the computer screen.  The news displaced my anxiety over IEPs, missing printer cartridges, state tests, local assessments, observations, and binders.  There were runners, relatives, friends, families, and children serving as determined runners or waiting to share in their celebration.  The snippets of news available left me with that all to familiar feeling, rattled.  Perhaps, it's the "two degrees of separation" from disaster feeling, but I felt rattled as to how and why such horrors continue to invade our psyche.  Once again, I found myself looking for peace.  Once again, I found hope in written words. 

Tweets of "We're OK, and on our way home," alleviated some personal stresses as did data about finishing times. Yet there were others, people like me, with families, friends, jobs and busy lives who were stopped in their tracks by a senseless act of violence.  I offered prayers of thanksgiving and comfort.  Once again, I found hope in words. 

Stacy@Raisealithuman tweeted this link http://www.kveller.com/blog/parenting/this-is-for-you-boston/?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter&utm_campaign=Feed%3A%20kveller%20%28Kveller.com%20%29 Over on Facebook, the words of Mr. Rogers that went viral after the Newtown disaster reappeared.  Once again, I found hope in words.

I suspect others are waking up this morning wondering, "Why?" and pondering how another horror can invade our world and psyche, " Again?"  I do not have the anwer to those questions but as the dark side of life turns into the hope of a new day, I am reminded that there is hope in words. 

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I, too, found hope in words. I gathered them together for a quick poem. I saw words from Naomi Shihab Nye, "Kindness" and from Peter Reynolds on Facebook. Are these messages getting through? I am so easily shaken by these senseless acts of violence. When will they stop?

Stacey said...

I'm glad you enjoyed Jordana's article over at Kveller. She has written a lot of pieces in response to tragic events. She always seems to know exactly the right thing to write at times like this.

Anonymous said...

I like the thought of finding hope in words.

Tara @ A Teaching Life said...

Mr. Rogers' words were so comforting....they remind me of Anne Frank's belief that people are good - we have to believe that.