Labels

Tuesday, May 21, 2013

#Slice of life 2013 Material Girl Through a New Lens

One of my morning songs is Madonna's Material Girl. 

We are living
In a material world
And I am a material girl

 
It's on my MP3 player because it has "beat" and heavens knows I need some "beat" to get me moving on the morning treadmill (plus it helps to think that if I exercise "with" her, I will look a little like Madonna)!  I don't usually think of the song or its words during the day; however, it "popped into" mind as my mother said pensively, "I think I've been a little too focused on material things and images in my life."  

Our afternoon conversation had begun, like it often does, with some comment about too much technology and people being "tied" to their phones as they walk around not watching where they are going, walking into parked cars! There was then some bemusing about the merits of buying new cars vs. potentially buying someone else's "problem" used car. Our conversation then turned to "finding" her "designer" umbrella, the one she got at a conference at the now defunct Concord resort in the Catskills 30 years ago, the one she thought I had borrowed and lost.  She had "found" it hanging under a spring jacket; thus, I did not "lose" it after all!  Our afternoon conversation also included the bemoaning of "money wasted" on flowers that don't last "like they should" and pedicures that don't "hold up."

Yet, yesterday, as we sat safely in her cozy condo watching the horrible devastation in Oklahoma unfold, we were both clearly reminded, once again, that in the end, it's "people" not "material things" that matter. What we accumulate in life comforts and supports our journey; however, in the end, we would trade "it" all for a few moments more with those we love. While Madonna's song may have "beat," it does not have merit! 

*My thoughts and prayers are with the people impacted by the disaster in Oklahoma this morning. 

 

4 comments:

Julie Johnson said...

Your words ring so true. It's easy to get caught up in the material things of our world, but when faced with the devastation such as that in OK, we are reminded of what is truly important.

Melanie Meehan said...

I felt guilty having my daily slice be about something other than Oklahoma as my thoughts keep going back there today. You are right about having what we care about and what matters put right back into place. Such a horrible, horrible disaster. Thanks for writing the reminder, Anita.

Nanc said...

Well said Anita. In an instant yet again, everything changes. My heart goes out to these families who have lost someone that they love. xo

Tara @ A Teaching Life said...

Lovely post. I, too, am thinking of all the families in Oklahoma, who have faced such devastation and loss. The photographs of children being rescued are unforgettable.