Labels

Friday, June 28, 2013

Summer Reading for Teachers is Good For Kids - YEAH

Yes, I read Reading Online almost daily - all year long - even if that makes me a nerd.  But, don't paint me into being a "one genre reader"!  I certainly DO read widely and at times, a bit wildly!  I am always looking for good reading suggestions for me (and for my mother)!
So this morning's suggestions from Lori Oczkus are appreciated and I love that she considers it our "job" to live the readerly life so that our children can see us as models and so we can appreciate what they experience as readers!
 "It is important for us as educators to read—to experience firsthand not only the reading strategies we teach our students, but most importantly the joy of lifelong reading for pleasure."
Interestingly, the fact that I have already read some of these makes me feel happy too!

http://www.reading.org/general/Publications/blog/engage/engage-single-post/engage/2013/06/27/practice-what-you-preach-spend-the-summer-reading


* For the record, I just downloaded m Lots of Candles, Plenty of Cake, Anna Quindlen (Random House, 2012) and The Silver Star, Jeanette Walls, 2013.  Thanks for the suggestions, Lori.

No comments: