Labels

Thursday, September 5, 2013

A dream is a wish .....

Of late, I'm dependent on Spotify for music on the treadmill as my MP3 player is a gonner!  Now, I could seek a pity-party because I walk without Tina T. or J. Lo., but there is something interesting about listening to random music in the morning!  This was the first song this morning.  

  A dream is a wish your heart makes
When you're fast asleep
In dreams you lose your heartaches
Whatever you wish for, you keep
Have faith in your dreams and someday
Your rainbow will come smiling thru
No matter how your heart is grieving
If you keep on believing
the dream that you wish will come true.....
 
I'm sure it has been out of my lineup for a long time, but the words were still ringing in my head as I exited the treadmill.  Dreams...hopes and dreams....yes we all have them....
 
It is said, by many, that some of the messages in Cinderella are a "demeaning" to women of the 21st Century.  Certainly, none of us should wait for a prince to take us away or make us happy.  We might in fact like to hang out with a "toad" or with other "princesses"!  Certainly, none of us should sit and wait patiently for our dreams to come true.  We are the drivers of our own carriages and paddle our own canoes.  Certainly, none of us are totally dependent on others for happiness.  We find and make our own happiness no matter where we are and what we are doing.
 
Yet, as I exited the morning treadmill, my mind was filled with hopes and dreams.  Some were certainly superficial, such as my dream for the cobwebs to disappear or for a sunshiny weather.  Other hopes and dreams were more personal, happiness, jobs, time, love for family members and friends.  However, other hopes and dreams were much bigger and elusive, such as peaceful coexistence in our world. 
 
While the Old Witch in me knows that not all our wishes can come true and the old feminist in me says that we must make sure our girls have models of strong women determining their own destiny, there is still something about having hopes and dreams that is important to the search for happiness in our "real" lives.  
 

1 comment:

Terje said...

I had a little fleeting thought about hopes and dreams lately. Your writing is on a completely different level. This inspires me to continue with my own thinking.