Labels

Saturday, September 21, 2013

Preparing For Lives We Cannot Yet Envision

This morning, I am thinking of windsurfing and coaching,  I have never done, and likely never will do either; yet, I suspect I have many of the "tools" to do either if I so desired!

Here's how it started.  I was lying in bed, thinking about my kids, off to a weekend wind surfing school and channeling adolescent energy into a cohesive team.  I lay there thinking that I never envisioned their lives in quite wonderful way they are unfolding.  In fact, if truth be told, I could only envision THEIR lives through the lens of my own. 

While it may indeed be the goal of parents and teachers to assure our children have the skills and tools they need in order to be college and career ready (CCSS), the bigger mission for all of us is to assure our children are ready for lives we cannot yet envision.  It's a bigger mission than I ever could have imagined! 

No comments: