Labels

Saturday, October 12, 2013

The prefix RE might just be her ally

In this new age of CCSS, we are all thinking closely about words!

Dictionary.com says re is a prefix, originally Latin, meaning “again” or “again and again” to indicate repetition; however, it also means back” or “backward” to indicate withdrawal or backward motion.
 
I use that prefix a lot as I talked to students, parents, teachers, caregivers; however, I consistently use the first meaning of the prefix, not the second!  
I react when the alarm screams in my ear. 
I readjust when I realize the traffic patterns are not conducive to my commute.     
I recopy graphic organizers and revisit stories. 
I react to yelling in the bathroom or running in the hallway.
I reassure the scared, reluctant and worried. 
I extol rereading, looking closely and finding details to support the answer.   
I renew, reorganize and repair supplies. 
I pray for renewal and recharging as I rest my head at promptly 10PM.
 
I guess that is why I thought of rehab as doing things again and again in order to get back to where you were.  My aunt, however, has found the other meaning of rehab as she explained to me last night. 
 
"This new physical therapist wants me to walk with my heels first.  The last one said to put my head down.  Back when I was in the home (rehab) they told me to walk with my toes first," she sighed.  "They really should all get on the same page. That's why I can't walk," she chuckled. Then, looking sternly at me she added, "I want you to tell them all that I  learned how to walk way back when I was a baby and nobody had to show me how to do it.  I want to go back to the way I walked for 90 years, my own wayI just need to remember how I walked back then!"   
 
So,  empowered with a poster emblazoned with this revised definition of rehab, my Aunt just might have a case against those rehab people who don't seem to know how to walk! 

 

re·ha·bil·i·tate  (rh-bl-tt)
1. To restore to useful life (dictionary)
2. To go back to how things were (Aunt Gert)

 

No comments: