Labels

Saturday, October 19, 2013

We have to teach ourselves now to live, really live…to love the journey, not the destination.”

From my local library, in my pajamas, I downloaded Anna Quindlen, A Short Guide To A Happy Life the other night.  Quindlen is one of my favorite contemporary authors and I already knew what the book said. Yet, after a particularly tough week at work and with caregiving, I needed to reread Quindlen's words.  I'm sharing them here so I can go back and reread them when my book loan ends in 14 days.  I will need them again.  For sure. 

Life is made of moments, small pieces of silver amidst long stretches of tedium. It would be wonderful if they came to us unsummoned, but particularly in lives as busy as the ones most of us lead now, that won’t happen. We have to teach ourselves now to live, really live…to love the journey, not the destination.”

Yogi Berra’s advice seems as good as any: When you come to a fork in the road, take it!

Don’t ever confuse the two, your life and your work. The second is only a part of the first.

You are the only person alive who has sole custody of your life. Your particular life. Your entire life. Not just your life at a desk, or your life on the bus, or in the car, or at the computer. Not just the life of your mind, but the life of your heart. Not just your bank account, but your soul.

Excerpted from A Short Guide to a Happy Life by Anna Quindlen. Excerpted by permission of Random House, a division of Random House, Inc. All rights reserved.

 

No comments: