Labels

Friday, September 11, 2015

9-1-1: Reflection

I can remember every moment of that morning......the incredibly beautiful September morning.  The sky was aglow. There was a sense of hope and love that September morning.  My life was full and busy . My son was in college and my daughter in graduate school.  I had a job I loved and was in a graduate program that would take me into Manhattan.

Then, as I assessed a reluctant reader, the Vice Principal delivered ta quiet message that a plane had gone into the World Trade Center, Don't tell the kids. Come to the office as quickly as you can, There are parents to contact.  We need your to bring your cell phones.  

I could not begin to understand the impact of her words.  We were less than 20 miles away in our suburban school.

There were families in our community whose lives were shattered that day....and in some way...we all were changed....to a more cynical...more critical...yet kinder and gentler version of what we were before....We made call to parents....we planned for dismissal...we rode buses home to be sure no child was left alone....and then we hoped and prayed that there were survivors...and we remembered to tell our loved ones we "loved them" and to live each day to its fullest including random acts of kindness.   

No comments: