Labels

Sunday, September 20, 2015

#celebratelu15 Celebrate: Patience


For 100 weeks, Ruth Ayers has been encouraging us to "Be gentle with ourselves," and to "Focus on the small celebrations of our lives."  

This week, I celebrate PATIENCE.  

I'm not by nature a "patient" person.  I like to get things done and done "right." I'm not one to procrastinate; in fact, I can become a bit "anxious" when it takes "too long" to get to a "goal" whether it is "getting our program up and running" at work, "getting the house cleaned," or "waiting for a special event." I've always loved getting up early with the excitement and promise of a full day ahead. Perhaps that is why I've always been intrigued by the last stanza of Longfellow's Psalm of Life which my Grandmother recited frequently:
Let us, then, be up and doing,
With a heart for any fate;
Still achieving, still pursuing,
   Learn to labor and to wait.
This week, I have been "reminded" in all aspects of my life that patience is hard and requires letting go of expectations and timelines. Patience requires us to "trust" that it will all work out in the end.  Patience requires us to accept that "we" are not in control of everything that happens.  

This week, I celebrate the great things in life that are absolutely worth waiting for!

6 comments:

Kendra said...

This is so true! Thank you for sharing this beautiful reminder of how precious patience can be.

Linda B said...

So well said, Anita. I had a wonderful adventure with the grand-girls last Monday. I drove them to Colorado Springs to visit the lovely zoo there. On such a long day, with 6 and 4 year olds, patience is indeed a virtue. There are certainly things outside of our control. but sometimes I wish I did have it (te he). Have a wonderful Sunday.

Bernadette said...

The poem is a great reminder about life - go out and live it to the fullest but it will take patience to learn the lessons of life.

Carol Varsalona said...

I needed that poem Anita. Before my walk my patience was wearing thin with all the "things" that were staring me in the face. Now I am back and a bit more relaxed so back to the wash and the organization of one small pile of clutter.

Ruth Ayres said...

I admire you for celebrating the wait. It's not easy to wait! Like you, I'm learning about slowing down this year. My OLW is unhurried -- it is becoming a treasure. Thank you for the few lines of the poem -- I'm jotting it down in my notebook.
Ruth

Loralee said...

What wonderful words in the poem!
Thank you for writing about waiting.