Labels

Sunday, May 13, 2018

Thinking about Moms

Mother's Day may be among the most emotionally charged holidays. Even IF we have reason(s) to celebrate, this one seems to dredge up memories and scratch wounds. We all know someone who is/has struggled with infertility, loss of a child, or loss of a mom. 

While I celebrate my many blessings the day, I do find my mind drifting to thoughts of my own mom. During the last years of her life, I was her caretaker providing/arranging for transportation, meals and companionship. She was often in pain and frustrated by the ravages of aging and chronic illness  To be honest, she could be quite cantankerous; yet I stopped by or called every day knowing that she could live just a little, vicariously, though my adventures at school and in traffic!

Talk about cycles of life! My mom passed quietly in the weeks after I became a grandmother for the first time. I've wondered if on some level she wanted me to be able to spend a little less time care-giving and a little more time with my own grandchildren! Who knows, but moms would do ANYTHING for their children!

I do know that this flower-grower-fueled, filled-with-emotion holiday is not the essence of motherhood and that no one can imagine the journey of being a mom. So for all those new moms, suffering moms, wanna be moms, pseudo moms, aunties and mothering dads, take a bit of advice from my mother-in-law:
             Do a little something nice for yourself EVERY single day, you deserve it!

No comments: