Labels

Tuesday, September 4, 2018

#sol 2018 Happy New Year

Stopped by Staples,
Knowing the crowd would be there,
Just for old times sake.
Circled by DSW
Knowing I didn't need shoes,
Out of habit.
Said a prayer for first day jitters
Knowing teachers and kiddos will be stressed
Like always.

Remembered,
 The many first days,
The smiles, tears, laughter, fears,
The smell of new pencils and notebooks,
Fresh new faces, ideas, optimism,
The promise of fall despite the hear,
The magic of a fresh start
Happy New Year







4 comments:

Catherine said...

What beautiful balance in the shape, words and sentiment of your poem. Happy New Year!

Rose Cappelli said...

I always think of September as the new year even though I have been out of the classroom for a few years. Your poem is full of happy memories!

Miss Murphy said...

Did you retire? If so, I can't imagine how different this time of year must feel to you!

I love the poem - you captured the Back to School excitement perfectly!

Ramona said...

Four years after retirement I still wander the school supply aisles. This year I bought new pens for writing and glue sticks. September is my favorite new beginning!