Labels

Tuesday, February 19, 2019

#sol19 I Climbed the Grand Canyon


Four years ago today, at just about this time, I reached the top of the Grand Canyon after a grueling, but, empowering, climb all the way down one day and all the way back up the next. At the time, I remember my legs were exhausted and I numb. There were more than a few moments along the way when my hiking partner and I were not sure we were going to make it to the top. At one point on the way back, a Park Ranger suggested we spend the night as she was CERTAIN we could not make it.

But, we did make it back to the top in spite of a grueling climb and an ankle sprain. Before we left school for our Winter Recess, one of our students offered us, "Good luck," followed by his thought, "You are going to need it." We did need that luck, but we probably GOT more empowerment out of that trip than we could have ever imagined.

Since that February hike, I've changed where I work, where I live and where I find personal enjoyment. I lost my best friend and partner.  I lost my Mom, my Aunt and my role of caregiver. I've earned new roles: Meme, Meem, Professor, Dr. F., neighbor, friend.........

I am not sure I would have had the strength to persevere through the hard times...unless I had climbed down and then back up the Grand Canyon....but then I will never know....but I did climb the Grand Canyon....and I am SO GLAD I did.  I guess I needed that "Good luck" wish and the empowerment of that hike.....

1 comment:

Ramona said...

You go, girl! It's good to reflect on those things we did as we face ongoing challenges.