Labels

Tuesday, February 18, 2020

#sol20 Just don't do aquasize

During a recent road-trip, I began talking about my new-found happy-place, the local YMCA.  "I don't feel embarrassed to walk on the treadmill and when I look around, there are people going slower than me!  I also like the relaxed feel of the dressing room where there is no pressure to have six-pack abs and a perfect body! I also love the pool. When I swim, I just don't feel my age as much."

"Just don't do aquasize," the driver offered as if it was a banned substance. 

"But I love aquasize and do it 3-4 times a week," I almost screamed, but realizing the kiddos were sleeping, I resisted the scream and made it a firm statement! "I get great exercise and even do some resistance and weight work in the water. It's also easy on my knees." 

"But, it's for o-o-o-o," he stopped, catching the prejudice before it came all the way out.

"It's great for old ladies," I quipped in defense of all aquacizers, some much older and some younger than me.  "This is an exercise routine I can get behind and do for a long time. I am getting older, in case you didn't notice."

Later that night I reflected on the conversation as I climbed into bed, promising myself I would do weights in the morning.  It's easy to let our preconceived ideas get in the way.


6 comments:

Unknown said...

Exercise is beneficial when you do what you enjoy. And old is very relative statement. Good for you for not being influenced in someone else's opinion.

Glenda Funk said...

My takeaway here is don’t listen to what men say about exercise. They don’t know women’s bodies. I wish I loved a aquasize. I know it’s a great workout, but I don’t like chlorine and can’t see w/out my glasses. I don’t like having to deal w/ wet hair either.

Stacey Shubitz said...

I'm not sure what this says about me, but I did water aerobics -- somewhat proudly -- when I was in my late 20's and early 30's. Working out in a pool has always brought me joy... so why not!??!

Lisa Corbett said...

I love aqua-fit classes! It feels great to be in the pool, and is less irritating to some of my joints than other exercise.

Red Emma said...

You keep on with the exercise you like to do, and don't mind what anybody, anybody says about it. Plus, there is nothing wrong with being "old" -- consider the alternative. And if you keep up your execise and aquasize, you'll keep putting off that alternative!

Patrick O said...

Good for you Anita...........as you know, exercise is good for the body as well as the head. Don't listen to those O, O, O, people and enjoy your swims. All of us are growing older , so enjoy.....and have a glass of wine (also very good for your body and mind!)