Labels

Tuesday, February 25, 2020

#sol20 Like Putty

He took my hand, firmly, and pulled me gently into the other room. I left the dishwasher open as there was an urgency to his need.

He held my hand tightly in a way that suggested a serious situation needed to be addressed. The room was strewn with toys and evidence of childhood but it was clear he was on a mission.

He led me to the couch and sat as close as he could. He sighed as he leaned in, knowing what was ahead.

"Read, Meme," he instructed me.  It was not a question, not a request, not a debate. "Read this book."

When we got to the last page of How to Track a Truck, he got up and raced over to the bookcase. "Another one?" he asked, yet it really wasn't a question.  "Dragons love tacos," he began as he placed the book in my lap and climbed up as quickly as he could.

He may be little, but he already knows I am like putty when a book about spicy tacos (or any other book) is placed in my lap!

I'm participating in the Two Writing Teachers Slice of Life Tuesday, today, and hope to write every day in March during the SOL challenge.  I always feel anxious and unsure of my ability to undertake such a challenge; however, I'm going to try to document the moments and memories of my life.

10 comments:

Lisa Corbett said...

I love these kinds of moments! My kids end up in bed late a few nights every week because I have a hard time saying no to "just one more" book or chapter.

Unknown said...

Wonderful slice. Kids and books are priority.

Natalie Dunne said...

I love "evidence of childhood." I need to remember that the chaos in my family room is often this. :)

Also, I love Dragons Love Tacos! Haven't read it in a while and may have to pull it out again! "Pantloads of tacos!"

Readingteachsu said...

❤️dragon loves tacos. I might stop just about anything to read a book with a child as well.

Unknown said...

So fun! I love how your beginning got me so curious about what was going on, and then I loved picturing the little one demanding to be read to.

Mschiubooka said...

A beautiful small moment celebrating book love and the Meme love, captured in words. Well done!

ssurridge said...

What a gorgeous moment you created. I can see that he knows about the putty that you are!

Carol Varsalona said...

It is just wonderful to watch a child get excited about reading. Your slice captures this excitement.

Unknown said...

What a sweet moment! I hope my now 7 month old grandson wants me to read to him with such urgency! I have already begun reading to him whenever I can!

Unknown said...

Unknown is me... EVA Kaplan!