Labels

Tuesday, May 10, 2022

#sol22 May 10 Jokes

 

I remember telling jokes as we walked home from elementary school. I was not a joke master by any means and relied on a few jokes copied from library books to keep up with the crowd.

In my professional work with children who found reading and learning challenging, I remember trying to teach the magic of word play through jokes.  For most of my students, jokes were hard and they relied on a handful of memorized jokes to keep up with the group.

But, I do remember the power of jokes for my niece, who consumed joke books. Later on, I remember sharing the magic of word play with her girls and their cousins.  I remember their belly laughs and how they would save jokes to trick me!  

Now, I am savoring the magic of grandchildren who are starting to "get" jokes and memorize joke books. There really is something magical about the power of words that sound similar or have different meanings.  

While I am still not a joke master, I shared a belly laugh when my grandchild called to ask me a joke that clearly has roots in the Disney classic, Moana.  

"What did one volcano say to the other volcano?

I lava (love) you!

I have a dream I hope will come true
That you'll grow old with me and I'll grow old with you
We thank the Earth, sea, and the sky, we thank too

I lava you,
I lava you,
I lava you.


3 comments:

Margaret Simon said...

I lava the volcano joke!

Stacey said...

Such a cute joke that you crafted!

I'm piloting the Kindergarten WordLove curriculum with my son right now. It's exciting to watch his vocabulary grow as he starts to understand words. Hoping he can write a few jokes as he learns more and more words.

arjeha said...

It is something to see the the light goes on as a child gets a joke or pun. I love the fact that your grandchild had a joke just for you.