Labels

Tuesday, January 24, 2023

#sol23Jan24 Get What You Get

 



"Do you think we will get any snow this winter?" he asked as we watched the "shoveling of the lines" during a football game in Buffalo. Clearly, Buffalo and its environs have had more than their share of snow and ice this winter!  In addition to the December blizzard, upstate NY has surpassed 100 inches of snow - with more on the way. Yet, that normally snowy upstate area is just 260 miles from the suburban NYC area where I live "downstate" where there has not been any measurable snow (so far) this winter. Even Flagstaff, Arizona has surpassed our snowfall levels!

"I really want to go sledding," his little boys echoed in earnest as the rain blanketed our downstate area in muck.  "We always have snow by now," the one who has just a few memorable winters under his belt volunteered.

"It's  probably because I hired a plow service this year," I offered to lighten up the gloomy mood.  No one laughed, but my mind thought of that old kindergarten slogan, "You get what you get and you don't get upset."

Clearly, I do not relish shoveling or driving on icy roads. Clearly, I have enjoyed this winter's  break from snow even if we have had endless rain and muck. Clearly, the forecast for tomorrow could make this post a reminder to be careful of what we wish because, "You get what you get and you don't get upset."

Yet, there is something magical about a snowy morning and the promise of sledding on a snowy day.  I know you get what you get and I will try to embrace whatever we get tomorrow, as long as the forecast remains optimistic for snow melting temperatures and rain to follow right away! 

 

5 comments:

arjeha said...

We haven't had any measurable snowfall here either. I am not complaining. We did have a covering Sunday night into Monday. It really was a pretty sight. I am not a fan of driving in snow or ice and being retired makes it easy to stay home when the weather is bad.

Terje said...

We had lots of snow, blizzards and all, and it all turned into rains and melted into puddles, to return again unexpectedly, to melt again and freeze, and now we expect the warmer temperatures again. You get what you get and live with it. I fully understand this statement. I hope you find the fun and beauty of snow tomorrow.

Ramona said...

I hope your boys get snow tomorrow. We had snow in November and anow and ice in December. I commented the other day that I was okay if we didn't have any more this winter. But we had some beautiful flakes fall on Sunday afternoon and I enjoyed them. They didn't stick.
This saying is not one I grew up with, but I wish I'd known it when I was parenting.

Stacey Shubitz said...

We're getting our first real snow (only 1-2", but it's more than a dusting!) tomorrow. Unfortunately, the school district is already talking about a FID so I don't know how much outdoor play time my kids will have. :/

I hope you get some measurable snow so the boys can enjoy some time outdoors tomorrow!

Jackie said...

Love a snow day--which goes without saying when you are a teacher. However, I never make predictions because the weather is a giant tease! Thanks for sharing the seesaw up and down of anticipating snow and its aftermath. January blanketed in gray clouds can be gloomy, but also be the darkness that allows sunshine to feel like even more of a gift when it arrives or peeks through.