Labels

Tuesday, April 23, 2024

#sol24 Religion Focused Holidays

 

This semester, I messed up, plain and simple. I didn't mean to offend anyone.

I followed the University's calendar.  I checked the dates of school vacations. I double checked dates for Easter and Passover. I even took note of the "fun" holidays of the spring semester (Valentine's Day, Pi Day, Earth Day) as it is fun when I can incorporate some fun into my class focused on school-based assessments!

Yet, I messed up and it was clear to me when one student asked at the end of class, "Do we have in-person class next week?"

Another student chimed in asking to "Zoom-in" as she would be with family celebrating.

A third student responded a bit disgustedly, "We probably have class because it's not a Christian holiday. It's discrimination, if you ask me."

"It's Eid and I will be with my family as we break the fast," another student volunteered, possibly trying to help me understand the request that was trying to figure out if this was just a group intent to get out of a scheduled in-person class. "A lot of us celebrate."

It was late and I vaguely remember reading about NYC schools and Eid. I really was not prepared to either offer a zoom option (which everyone would likely take) or add on a class at the end of the semester, so I promised to look into the matter and clarify through an email within 2 days.

I started exploring as soon as I got home. 

For the first time, Eid, an important Muslim holiday celebrating the breaking of the fast, is a school holiday in NYC; however, it did not make the University calendar, this year.  

As I stalled my decision, I found a recent Gallup Poll suggesting 3 out of 4 Americans identify with a specific religious faith.  68% of those identify as Christian, 2% identify as Jewish, 1% identify as Buddhist and 1% identify as Muslim.  Additionally, 45% of Americans say religion is very important in their lives. 

I made the decision, for this year, to keep the scheduled in person class and offer students the option of a full zoom class the next evening. 25% of my class took the zoom option. It was still the right thing to do. 




3 comments:

arjeha said...

It is difficult to keep abreast of all holidays and holy days. I think the option you chose fit the needs of all. Since this is the first time NYC is observing Eid as a school holiday, leeway needs to be given.

Fran McCrackin said...

Of course you should forgive yourself, and I applaud your decision. But what I love about your piece is the responsibility you take and the respect you show. And 25% took your zoom option- maybe they weren’t all observers, but no matter what, that is a significant reaction. I am sure you are glad you went one step further to offer it. Respect is never wasted.

Lisa Vahey said...

I think we're all continuing to learn how to be more inclusive - how to build our knowledge, ask questions, make changes. Thank you for sharing your experiences, and helping us see how you're handling it; it's so much better for us to be learning together!