Labels

Saturday, September 8, 2012

Great Schools, But The Stores Need Work

"So, where did you live before you moved here," I asked as I hurried another group of new enrollees down the hall for a quick, state mandated, new student screening.
"From the city," noted Child #1.
"Lots of families move from there to here," I said walking quickly.
"So, where did you live," I asked Child #2 as we made our way down the hall.
"From the city," she said in a cheerful response, "I really didn't want to move but my dad wanted to move a lot, so I decided come."
"Sometimes it's hard to move," I acknowledged, "but you'll make lots of new friends, I promise."
"So, where did you live," I asked Child #3. 
"The city," replied the third child laughing at the coincidence.
Looking perplexed, I queered the group asking, "Is everyone leaving The City?"
The trio laughed and Child #3 responded, "Don't worry, there are lots and lots and lots of people who work in the city and there are lots and lots and lots of people who live there.  But, the really smart ones, like us (she said as she spread her arms to recognize her new friends) left to come here because the schools are really great!"  Then she got closer to me and said quietly, "But the stores here are not a good as in The City, you know." 

I smiled from ear to ear thinking, that is just what my mother-in-law used to say when she was longing for a trip to Macy's....and then the little girl told me her name...and I smiled again:)


    

No comments: