Labels

Sunday, July 20, 2014

Words and phrases




Sometimes, at graduations, weddings, funerals, and even church services the words are lost in the drone of the message like in the old Charlie Brown cartoons when he goes, "Waaa. waaa, wa...." without hearing what is said.  Sometimes the words are more like a clanging gong banging but making no lasting impression.
Other times, the service strikes your heart and you take the words home.

This was the case for me last Sunday when the reminder was that we ALL need a few moments, now and then in solitude.  I smiled as I remembered locking the bathroom door when my own kids were little in order to get 3 minutes alone - even if it was not quiet.

This was also the case for me the other day when the advice for some newly weds was to remember some key phrases that make living and working together more effective.  The phrases were simple ones that we have been hearing since we were toddlers.

  • I love you
  • I'm sorry
  • I forgive you
While there was nothing "new" in the message, I reflected on the words in light of the many often conflicting aspects of life. As teachers, that is how we need to interact with our students (changing the I love you to I really like and care for you no matter how bad, cranky, or ornery you might be). As coworkers, managers and employees, these are good phrases to keep near our lips.  As parents and as partners, they really are the hallmark of living and working together.      

There was only one other phrase that I think you might want to add to the list.  It's the Golden Rule:
do unto others as you would have others do unto you.

That is why I will make the bed AND cook dinner, tonight!  

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Love this simple reminder. Those things that make the biggest impact are sometimes the most simple and familiar. And the ones me most often overlook.