Labels

Tuesday, June 5, 2018

#sol18: Sandboxes

I thought of my own children whose over-sized sandbox spurred hours of creative play as I watched him load sand into the tiny cement mixer. A sense of peace seemed to come to my little guy as he took off his shoes and entered a place where all the concerns of a 2 year old's world seemed to evaporate!


"Everyone needs a sandbox," I smiled as my mind wandered to adults sandboxes! "That's what happens to me at the beach when I kick off my sandals and wander onto the sand," I thought.  "It's also what happens at the pottery studio (for some people), in the wood working shop, in the garden, and while playing the guitar or piano."

Perhaps, sandboxes are spaces where we are busy doing things that our minds do not perceive as work?  I think the definition of sandboxes needs to change!

sand·box
ˈsan(d)ˌbäks/
noun
  1. 1.
    NORTH AMERICAN
    a shallow box or hollow in the ground partly filled with sand for children to play in.
  2. 2.
    COMPUTING
    a virtual space in which new or untested software can be run securely.

3 comments:

elsie said...

My sandbox would be on my patio with a glass of iced tea and a book. You are right, we all need our own kind of sandbox.

Ramona said...

Oh, this makes me wish Jack had a sandbox. Hopefully, in due time! My sandbox is just like Elsie's except replace the iced tea with lemonade.

Terje said...

I hope that you get to spend time in your beach sandbox. Until then, have fun watching and joining in the games in the backyard sandbox.