Labels

Tuesday, November 29, 2022

#sol22 November 29 Cabbage, Onions, & a Good Book

 

"Why do you always bring us books, Meme?" he asked with a tone that put books in the same category as a gift of onions or cabbage.  "I don't like books, I don't like A, apple, /a/, and I don't like to read," he said in a huff that made my heart sad, even if I wasn't surprised.  

I grew up in an era when books were pretty much the only escape from real life and the only way to learn new things. These 3rd decade of the 20th Century children just ask Google if they have a question and have infinite avenues that will entertain them.  Yet, I know that reading and writing are still at the epicenter of learning and living, even if it's the 21st Century!

"I think you might like this one" I suggested holding the new book so that his name, along with his sister and brother's name's were in the title.  I did not read the title, but his big brother recognized the family names and appeared a wee bit interested.  The big brother moved away from his Lego-building, holding onto his build in progress.

"This one is me, this is you," the big brother concluded as he read the title and they opened the book and began to explore the pages where they were heroes and heroines.  "This one is where we are hiding!" they said excitedly as they scanned and explored the book the same way they would go after a box of chocolates. 

I hung up my coat, picked up the baby, and returned to find the reluctant reader, his siblings, and his father lost in this new "personalized" book.  I wanted to interject something about the magic or power of books.  I was tempted interject that THIS was why I bring so many books. However, I  acted as I would have if they were suddenly eating onions or cabbage and enjoying it!    

PS This time I used Wonderbly but I am neither endorsing the site or the books. The payment part was  tricky and they kept trying to double charge me until I corrected it manually, but the book is cute.  

PPS Thank you to TWT for continuing to sponsor this site and encouraging me to document the small moments of life. 






5 comments:

Unknown said...

I fear my ten year old niece may receive the book I got her for Christmas similarly. (She's a 21st century iPad kid). I bought her Odder about sea otters in honor of a memorable trip we took to the Monterey Aquarium. (Cabbage and onions... 😂). We're the generation where books are manna (spiritual nourishment).

Anonymous said...

I loved being a part of such an amazing experience. The 3 kids were mesmerized and so was their dad. It was pure magic!!

Stacey Shubitz said...

"This one is me, this is you." Ooooh, I loved that!

I'm with you! I'm a big believer in gifting books. In fact, I'm about to wrap two up for my son's student teacher who finishes her time with the class this week.

arjeha said...

The nice thing about books is that no assembly is required and batteries are not needed. Sounds like the hook was knowing he was part of the story.

mbhmaine said...

Transforming onions and chocolate to cabbage! Well done, Meme!