Labels

Tuesday, July 18, 2023

#SOL23 July18 A Tree Fell On Me

 

Let me go back to the beginning of the story. 

"How did you fare in the storm last night," I asked expecting to hear of a power and or internet outage in her rural, woodsy area that was clearly in the path of horrific storms that have plagued our area this summer. 

"Well", she began, "the biggest challenge was hail that really didn't last long but really banged up my roof and destroyed my garden.  It also left me with a tree branch that is hanging over my houseAmazingly, I only lost power for just a few minutes this time."  We reminisced about past storms where she was out of power and internet for weeks and I thought things were in a good place.

Until she called to talk about the report from the insurance adjuster who found a destroyed roof, damaged gutters, mangled screens, and at least one tree that needed immediate removal. "I am trying to find a roofer, carpenter and tree removal service that can be here asap," she said with urgency.  I was a little concerned until she assured me she knew a great tree removal service and so I was optimistic she was in a good place. 

"Well," she began the next message, "a tree fell on me and I spent the day in the ER. You know the drill, CAT scans, x-rays, and lots of stitches to close the hole in my headI'm going to be OK, but now my porch is destroyed."  I was a lot concerned, but returned the call to offer care and support.  

For so many in our area, a pattern of intense summer storms with flooding rains and damaging hail has resulted in damaged homes, businesses, and roads.  I'm not really sure if this is due to 'global warming' or just bad luck, but the old song about "Rain, rain, go away," is playing on repeat around here. 





5 comments:

Maureen said...

This sounds absolutely dreadful! I am so glad that your friend is going to be okay. What a good friend you are, reaching out to see how they fared. Your storytelling was great, with the crescendo building with each new revelation.

Glenda Funk said...

This is horrible news, and I fear it will get worse. It is, of course, the consequence of climate change. Before we reached a tipping point we might see a devastating storm, but now they come in multiples. I just saw the NYT story about 19 straight days of above 110 degree temps in Phoenix. We need immediate action to address climate change.

Jackie said...

Yiiiiiikes! When the news comes alive with a first hand account, I am truly grateful for your generosity to share this experience. Wowza! Thinking of you! This post is full of dead pan in the face of sheer terror!

Lisa Keeler said...

This is a lot for your friend and for you. I am hoping that healing and also calm weather prevail.

Anonymous said...

That sounds like a lot of unfortunate situations! Your poor friend. I hope you all get some sunshine soon.