Labels

Wednesday, March 6, 2024

#sol24 March 7 I Can't Read


 I was pretty nervous and frankly looking forward to the one who would be administering just a wee bit of that happy juice.

 "What is your part time job?" he asked looking at my chart where I had shared that I do a lot of personal as well as professional reading for my part time job. 

"I work with beginning teachers sharing strategies to support struggling readers and writers," I smiled confident he was just making small talk and could care less about what I "did" when I wasn't dressed in a shapeless gown

He was quiet for a moment before sighing deeply and sharing softly, "I'm 73 years old and I have had a successful career. I went to Ivy League colleges, and these days I also work part time, but I really can't read." Then he looked me in the eye asking sincerely, "Do you think it is too late for me?"

"What do you mean?" I asked thinking about what a "non reader" might do in med school.

"I read very slowly, syllable by syllable. It takes me double or triple the time it takes others. I've tried a few programs like Evelyn Woods, but I still read slowly."

I shared a few strategies to support fluency, but if I am honest, my mind was thinking about the burden of this now shared "secret" and the energy it took to complete his education. I wondered if teachers planted a seed of reading incompetence? I wondered if an overreliance on fluency as a measure of reading was the root of his issues? I thought about those readers I have known whose comprehension far exceeded their fluency. I thought about how he should be a model of perseverance for struggling readers everywhere. 

I haven't stopped thinking of him.


3 comments:

Lisa Keeler said...

Wow- what a vulnerable admission the doctor shared with you. I wonder if your paths will cross again. Seems like you were meant to meet.

Melanie White said...

This is such a touching story and you render it with a delicate touch showing great respect for this elder. The use of description, and dialogue brings the reader into the experience.

Barbara Edler said...

Your post is so provocative. I am always wondering about how we may be damaging students and what things we might have said or done that made all the difference. I really appreciated reading your post, the anecdote and your thoughtful questions.